Sunday January 21st from 3:00pm – 4:30 pm &
Tuesday January 30th from 7:15pm – 8:45pm
Wondering about meditation and the various approaches to this practice? Curious about how meditation relates to your yoga practice – or to your life? How do we practice when we feel distracted? How do we sustain a practice? What are we really committing to? This introductory class will offer some basic guidelines for beginning and supporting a meditation practice, and ways of bringing that into your daily life. Through a combination of lecture, body-awareness and movement exercises, we’ll explore meditation as a sitting, walking – and awakening – practice.
Cost: $15 +tx per class
Sunday January 28th from 2:30pm to 5:30pm
Discover the relaxing and soothing benefits of the Big 6 through restorative yoga, supported variations of these 6 essential poses will be explored and broken down to give you the proper tools to practice this sequence safely. Experience the grounding effects of this practice helping us to balance emotional stability and quiet the nervous system, a great way to start off the new year.
1. Sirsasana (headstand)
2. Sarvangasana (shoulderstand)
3. Halasana (plow)
4. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (supported bridge pose)
5. Viparita Karani (inverted lake posture)
6. Savasana (corpse pose)
Cost: $40 in advance ($50 day-of)
Saturday April 7 – Sunday April 8
Yogacharya BKS Iyengar interpreted the Bhagavad Gita through the 8 limbs of Yoga; the body being a field, the soul as the farmer of that field. To every pose he brought both a scientific inquiry and a poetic interpretation. As practitioners we may choose to study asana, pranayama–all limbs of Yoga–as bodily, even medical treatments. Or reflecting on creative images, we may contact the inner levels of our being through the practice.
In this workshop we will explore these different ways, seeing where they touch.
- Saturday from 9:30am – 12:30pm: Standing postures
- Saturday from 2pm – 5pm: Pranayama – The Art and Science of Breath
- Sunday from 9:30am – 12:30pm: Yoga practice based on students’ questions and observations
- Purchased before February 15th (entire workshop – 9 hours): $216 +tx
- Purchased after February 15th (entire workshop – 9 hours): $252 +tx
Sign up here!
Brooke Myers – 30 Years of Teaching
Brooke Myers has studied yoga since 1973 and taught Iyengar Yoga since 1987. She has trained many times in India with the Iyengar family. Her primary teachers are Geeta Iyengar and the late Mary Dunn.
Brooke’s social conscience informs her teaching. “Yoga should be for everyone,” she says. “We have to make a real effort to go where the need is.” Her outreach efforts have taken her to psychiatric hospitals and a drug rehabilitation center. She co-taught the Institute’s HIV/AIDS class for many years. Brooke has taught special classes for knee and back problems, depression, and menopause.
The spiritual aspect of Iyengar Yoga inspires her teaching style, which is simple, reverent, and aspiring. “To motivate people, you have to first give them the experience. I can’t talk to them about their breath or their inner self. I have to show them that if they learn to come back into their heels and lift their chest, they won’t feel so depressed. I have to find physical ways to show them spiritual and emotional states.”
Brooke’s previous career was in radical experimental dance and theater. Along with political causes, she is active in animal rescue.
“I’m still looking for ways to use yoga to bridge the gulf between all kinds of people,” she says. “It should be possible—one of the meanings of yoga is union.”
Fridays February 2nd, 9th, 16th, and 23rd from 6pm to 8pm
Learn the art and science of Acroyoga with the expertise of Robert and Mireille. You will learn in an environment that is both stimulating and safe. This practice will build your confidence, your ability to listen through movement and increase your ability to support people, both physically and mentally.
In 4 weeks you will learn:
- dynamics between partners (2 or more) through yoga in order to develop your consciousness and sensitivity;
- stabilization of the abdominal area: reinforcement techniques to develop its lightness;
- vocabulary necessary for effective communication;
- 3 essentials: how to be a base, an acrobat and a spotter;
- spot techniques to ensure security, confidence and freedom;
- basic balances with partners and flight techniques in Acroyoga;
- basic postures and transitions.
Cost: $ 80 for 4 workshops (or $ 25 per workshop)